Monday, April 18, 2005

Reviewing Photos

I've taken a lot of photos in the last few months and I've been working on my pipeline for processing them. Here's what I've got so far:
  • Take the photos.
  • Import photos with the little utility that I wrote to put the photos in my directory structure.
  • Review the photos in ACDSee. I copy the ones that have something special in them to the favorites directory for each photo shoot.
  • Watch my screen saver cycle through all the photos in favorites directories.
  • Print some photos and put them on the walls in my office.
I usually copy about 1 in 5 photos to the favorites directory. When I Photoshop a photo I directly modify the file in the favorites directory. This way I have an original and a Photoshopped file for each photo.
 
My plan which I'm currently working on is to find a few photos each month I like and put them on my website. I just recently completed January 2005. I picked my 5 favorite photos for this web alum. I had to Photoshop most of the photos because I hadn't done it before.
 
I enjoy looking back at the photos a few months later to find the ones that I especially like. There are some that I liked when I took them, but later I've realized the photos weren't all that great.
 
I was surprised how much I'm sucked in by the screen saver of my favorites. I find my self just staring at the photos all the time. With the photos appearing randomly I'm able to find the ones that I like and I also see the ones that I want to Photoshop. 
 
I have a AllTimeFavorites directory where I put images that leave a lasting impression on me. I've only copied a few photos here so far. Now that I think about it, copying the photos a second time probably isn't a great idea because if want to Photoshop the file again, I'm not sure which to modify.
 
Well. There ya go. Tell me what you think of the January 2005 photos. I'm working on February 2005 now. It'll probably be a little bigger since most of my January photos are in my Australia alum.