Sunday, February 20, 2005

Pirates!

I played Sid Meier's Pirates the other night. That game is really fun. It doesn't totally seem like you are having fun when you are playing it. It actually seems kinda of simple. When I'm playing I feel like there's nothing to the game and I'll quit soon, but I keep on playing. That's interesting to mE how they keep my attention without totally drawing me in.
 
You always have 3-5 easy things to do. When you're in the city you need to talk to the governor, go to the saloon, sell stuff with the merchant and see if you can upgrade your ship. Each of these tasks usually takes about 30 seconds so you do them all at each city. At each point in the game you have a limited number of options but each one is easy.
 
I think this would get boring after a while. I like easy games and all but I need more than that. So occasionally one of your simple tasks turns into something bigger. Sometimes when you talk with the governor, he introduces you to his daughter. And his daughter can invite you to the ball. Boom, now you are in a dancing simulation, stumbling around trying not to look like an idiot.
 
Once I sailed into a port and it said that I couldn't enter because it wasn't a friendly port, but did I want to sneak in? Well, sure! Sneaking sounds like fun for a while. So I snuck in and found the governor. I did it first try. Oh yeah. Go me. I'm so good at this game I do every thing on the first try. Anyway, I convinced the governor that I would help him out. Boy, was he a sucker. I mostly just sank his ships.
 
Sailing a ship is kind of fun. I like exploring and finding places. And when I sail by another ship I can attack it. The camera zooms in and you have a pirate battle. You can fire a few different types of canons. You can end it by sinking the enemy ship. That's actually not the best thing to do because you don't get any of their loot. So you usually want to board the enemy ship. Sometimes they surrender on the spot. Sometimes you have a sword fight to win. And you know what... I always win. I haven't lost a sword fight yet, or a ship battle for that matter. I think I know why I like this game. I like winning. Winning, fun. Losing, not fun.
 
I think if this game had a little more depth it would be awesome. It's a really good game as it is. I have fun playing but I feel a little shallow. That's kinda the opposite feeling that I get from playing Wow. Then I'm not really having fun, but I feel like it's a deep game.
 
Ok, I've said all I want to about Pirates, but this blog is still a little short. I went to prom last night. I rented a tux and everything. Ok, it wasn't a real high school prom, but a prom party. It was a blast.