Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Playing WoW

I finally got around to playing World of Warcraft again last night. That game has so much going for it. And so much going against it. I really want it to be fun but so much of it isn't any fun at all. I think that my problem is that I'm trying to play it but only really investing half of the energy needed to play. I want to go run out and knock things silly with my mace. I could do that over and over again. It has all the things I need for that: good graphics, good sound, random rewards that feel better than they are. However I feel like I need to spend a lot of time figuring out where to go and what to do. I need to do a lot of things that aren't directly advancing my character but more like planning to advance my character. Where should I go next? I really don't know now. I have a full quest log. It's always full. That's really annoying. One of the things I want to do is minimize the quests in my log. That's fun. That's a sense of accomplishment for me. But no. I have like 40 that should be in my log and it grows faster than I do them. I hate dropping them off the bottom but that's really what I need to do. I think that's because I always play in rest state so I'm advancing in the game at a faster rate than the designers planned for. Anyways so last night I ran up and down a new area that I'd never been before, Stonetalon Peak. I thought it would be fun to explore, but it's really not. There are random areas that are too hard to run through. I'm ok with areas being too hard for be but the way you figure this out in WoW is by running in and dying. There's nothing on the map that makes it look hard. You have to mouse over a monster and subtract your level from his level. Actually the best was to explore an area is to look on thotbot or some other website. Yeah, great. I should be playing the game in web browser. That's the only way I've found to play Wow without running back and forth. Man running is really boring. I spent a lot of time last night running. I thought it would be interesting to see and new area. Nope. I really should have spent the ten minutes on thotbot to plot my quest order and look at the map so I didn't run all over the place looking for something interest. Attention Me. There will never be another interesting thing in WoW. Ok, that's probably a little harsh. Interestingness per hour is probably like .5 at level 20 in Wow. To give that number a scale West Wing is like 100. Going for a walk is like 10. Reading one of my crappy magazines 2. Playing Pirates... I'm thinking 500 once I get my hands on that game. Hey Wyatt, can I borrow your copy? Are you still playing?