Monday, February 07, 2005

The Food Months

Every month I change my diet. I give myself a rule and try to follow it. This month is "no salty snacks" month. Last night my girlfriend was eating popcorn and I was jealous because I couldn't have any. I usually find that I eat more interesting food because of the restrictions on my diet. Some months I try to find a rule that eliminates a food that I ate too much of the month before. Other months I just try to find an interesting eating idea.
 
The worst month by far was "eat breakfast" month. Oh, was that painful. There are all these people that told me that people who eat breakfast weight less. Now this is very different from eating breakfast to lose weight. All those skinny people that eat breakfast must have to do that because their metabolism is so fast they need more food. Me? I put on 5 pounds in two week. It was terrible. I've never done anything in my life that was so fattening. Well I spend the second have of the month eating "100% bran" cereal because it is the lowest calorie breakfast I could find. The cereal is actually not as bad as it sounds. Well, it's not very good either.
 
One of my more interesting months was "eat fish every day" month. Now I like fish but both of the people that I live with including my girlfriend dislike fish so I normally don't end up eating it a whole lot. That month I had 20 different kinds of fish including a number of which I had never eaten before. I had tilapia, blue cod, swordfish, snapper, haddock, and salmon just to name a few. I cooked fish a few times and even fed it to my housemates, but I mostly ate out because that way people around didn't have to suffer through fish month.
 
Usually the people around me are good sports and do the month a little with me. Like when I had "no pizza" month, my housemates didn't order pizza. That was a sad month since pizza is so good. But worse was "no cheese" month. That month also eliminated pizza, but also tried to remove burritos. Little did it know that you always order a burrito without cheese. Most restaurants were actually very reasonable with no cheese month because so many people are lactose intolerant so they understand when people ask for food with no cheese.
 
Another interesting month was "1800 calories a day" month. I was trying to lose a little weight. Now 1800 calories isn't like a super diet, but it's a reasonable amount of food if you are careful not to over do anything. I actually enjoyed that month because I learn a lot more about the foods that I eat. I had too look up the calories for everything. It's actually hard to find the calories for restaurant and take out food, so I had to guess sometimes. Sandwiches with no mayo/no cheese are actually very reasonable. And burritos with no sour cream/no cheese are ok too. I lost 7 pounds that month and was the lightest I had been since college.
 
This month is a double month. I'm doing "no salty snacks" and "write a 500 word blog each day". This goes with my philosophy that you can do anything you want in the world for a month. So far this month is going pretty well.