Monday, January 17, 2005

Why Write?

Joel tells me that I should have been taking writing courses all through college. I actually went out of my way to slip through college without taking courses that required writing.

Recently in my job I've been watching the process of game design. Having good ideas is important, but that's the easy part. Selling your ideas to the rest of the company is the hard part. So it turns out that being a good writer (and speaker) is a more important job skill more than being a logic thinker. The best logical thinker I work with is getting really frustrated because he just can't sell people on his great ideas. And if you don't sell people, your ideas don't happen.

Well I'm a programmer that dabbles in game design. I'm also a really crappy writer. So I'm taking Joel's advise and trying to write more... notice this blog. I wonder if anyone will ever read this? I wrote a little on Nav Meshes a little while back, but it doesn't look like many people read it. So maybe I'll get my hit rate up if I mention that I work as a game programmer at Blizzard North. "I'm working on an unanounced title." (Boy, I've been saying that for too long!) I did a bunch of testing for World Of Warcraft, but wasn't a programmer on that.

Hmm... Blogger doesn't seem to have a spell checker. This could be challanging.